We now find ourselves eating melons and other fruits throughout the year that were once traditionally known as “summer” fruits since produce grown from all over the world is now readily available in our local markets any time of the year.
Yet, watermelon seems to be the epitome of summer as the local harvest peaks during July.
This summer, be sure to include watermelon in your diet (in moderation of course) not only for the sheer pleasure of its refreshing and delicious nature but for its incredible benefits. You may be familiar with the list of benefits that watermelon offers but most likely, you may be surprised… so let’s dig in:
• L-citrulline, an amino acid in watermelon, seems to protect against muscle pain.
• Watermelon works similarly as COX-2 inhibitor drugs as it contains cucurbitacin E or tripterpenoid which blocks the activity of the pain and inflammation-causing enzyme, cyclooxygenase.
• New research showed citrulline and arginine supplements derived from watermelon extract lead to significant improvements in blood pressure and cardiac stress in obese study participants.
• Watermelon contains more of the antioxidant, lycopene, than fresh tomatoes.
• Black watermelon seeds are edible and actually quite healthy. They contain iron, zinc, protein, and fiber. (In case you were wondering, seedless watermelons aren’t genetically modified, as they’re the result of hybridization.)
• Watermelon rinds are edible and contain chlorophyll, therefore, very healthy.
• Watermelon contains 91% water and is great for keeping you hydrated.
Eat Healthy and Get Adjusted
Eating healthy foods, maintaining a good weight and getting regular adjustments can be the answer to a happy life for you and all your family. Call your Elkhorn, WI Chiropractor today and schedule an appointment. Your body won't regret it!
Read our posts and join the conversation by commenting or sharing with community.